UBOS update 09-26 issue with Mastodon

Questions and discussions about Indie Computing's UBOSbox
criky

UBOS update 09-26 issue with Mastodon

Post by criky »

Hi :)
I just updated my box with the latest 09-26 UBOS, and encounted a problem with Mastodon.

Before that, there was no problem.

After finishing the update, I can see the several error messages related to Mastodon and this causes system degradation.
Moreover Mastodon site does not work at all. Any note on this matter? I can not see any issue list on the Github(https://github.com/uboslinux/ubos-app-mastodon), nor can I find a hint in the troble shooting list.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
Attachments
2..png
2..png (63.79 KiB) Viewed 273 times

criky

Re: UBOS update 09-26 issue with Mastodon

Post by criky »

One of the clues I think is that below errors occured during the updates.
As you can see every error line has mastodon tag, so I guess this update has a connection with Mastodon app.
Have you known this?
Attachments
3..png
3..png (126.59 KiB) Viewed 270 times
4..png
4..png (92.74 KiB) Viewed 271 times

criky

Post by criky »

Let me clarify one more thing. Above captures with errors are the second trial of updates.

When it comes to the first update, there was no error at all as you can see below.
But I doubt why UBOS goes into reboot without redeploying the "undeployed-sites"!

So I guess this was the reason why UBOS went into degraged mode with backup files in /UBOS/backups/update folder.

Any idea about this procedure? Is this normal?
Attachments
1..png
1..png (91.22 KiB) Viewed 267 times

j12t

Post by j12t »

It depends on exactly where the problem is during upgrades. Depending on that, the restore after the update may or may not make it all the way through. We do try and keep data safe by not deleting anything unless it looks like everything worked out.

If there is a kernel update, or something like that, that requires a reboot:
1) Before the reboot backups are created, sites are undeployed and the packages are updated
2) Reboot
3) After the reboot, the sites are redeployed

We don't redeploy before the reboot, because the sites would be redeployed against the still-running old kernel and other old daemons.

Hope this clarifies.

Re mastodon, yes, this is one of the reasons why mastodon is still on the yellow channel and hasn't been promoted to the green channel. It's a rather "expensive" piece of software to keep updated, and given we currently have no revenue stream to support that development, it has not gotten as much attention as we'd like. Maybe one day we'll sell a UBOSbox mastodon, but not yet.

criky

Post by criky »

j12t wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:24 am
It depends on exactly where the problem is during upgrades. Depending on that, the restore after the update may or may not make it all the way through. We do try and keep data safe by not deleting anything unless it looks like everything worked out.

If there is a kernel update, or something like that, that requires a reboot:
1) Before the reboot backups are created, sites are undeployed and the packages are updated
2) Reboot
3) After the reboot, the sites are redeployed

We don't redeploy before the reboot, because the sites would be redeployed against the still-running old kernel and other old daemons.

Hope this clarifies.

Re mastodon, yes, this is one of the reasons why mastodon is still on the yellow channel and hasn't been promoted to the green channel. It's a rather "expensive" piece of software to keep updated, and given we currently have no revenue stream to support that development, it has not gotten as much attention as we'd like. Maybe one day we'll sell a UBOSbox mastodon, but not yet.
Thanks for your feedback.

1. Now I understood the process that UBOS takes when updates proceed.
But still I have a doubt, in my case, after the reboot it appears sites are redeployed as you explained, but at this point UBOS refuses to invoke

Code: Select all

sudo ubos-admin update -v
since, there are still files on the "/UBOS/backups/update folder", which causes "“Cannot create a temporary backup; the backup directory is not empty”" problem, as it is described in the trobule shooting section. Beforehand, I didn't see this message at all after the udate, so I have a question about this.

2. Yes, I do agree with your point, as a result UBOS box would not be able to work as we expeced after some updates. In this case, is it a problem on the Mastodon side? And do we have a chance to look at the issue and fix it? I personally think, just like UBOS, Mastodon is one of the best platform for the decentralised communications and looking forward to see a great collaboration with UBOS. Thanks.

j12t

Post by j12t »

We keep the data in /ubos/backups/update if there were any issues during update, to make sure that we don't lose data. If you think the update went fine, you can delete the directory (or move it out of the way).

I do not currently know what the issue is with Mastodon; it requires analysis.

criky

Post by criky »

j12t wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:16 am
We keep the data in /ubos/backups/update if there were any issues during update, to make sure that we don't lose data. If you think the update went fine, you can delete the directory (or move it out of the way).

I do not currently know what the issue is with Mastodon; it requires analysis.
Just simple question. Does your Mastodon work with the latest UBOS update?

I just want to know if this is my sole and isolated problem or not.

j12t

Post by j12t »

It appears that there is some shared library incompatibility with the libffi version.

criky

Post by criky »

It's been fixed after re-installing UBOS, but new issue arose as I posted.

j12t

Post by j12t »

There is a new version of Mastodon in the yellow channel.