Will Ubos make it easier to install Nextcloud & Piwigo??

You are using UBOS on a Rasberry Pi. Please state which model you are using, e.g. Zero, Zero W, model 3 or such.
Sean14

Will Ubos make it easier to install Nextcloud & Piwigo??

Post by Sean14 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:12 am

Hi Johannes,

For a noobie like me who has just experienced Linux (Raspian & Ubuntu) through Raspi 3 (RP3) - will
it be easy to install Nextcloud and Piwigo on a RP3 with the WD Pi Drive (external hard drive made for
the RP board by WD ) using your OS? One thing I have found is that it's easy to run OSes or other
applications from a sd card but trying to install on a hard drive is a different matter (so far, I haven't
succeeded). I like what your team is doing with the OS and making it easier to run on USB flash drive
or an external hard drive would be an added bonus.

Right now, I have downloaded the ubos image for RP3 and I will attempt to run it and then
try installing nextcloud on it via sd card.

Kind regards,

Sean14

j12t

Re: Will Ubos make it easier to install Nextcloud & Piwigo??

Post by j12t » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:39 am

Hi Sean,

you are the second person this week to ask about external disks with the Raspberry Pi 3! My understanding is that on the Raspberry Pi 3 (unlike previous models) it should be possible to boot entirely off an external disk, and not need an SD Card at all. (See official Raspberry Pi post.) However, I have not tried this, and there seem to be some limitations.

The closest we have so far is to use an external (SATA) disk with the ESPRESSObin.

There is also the alternative of starting the boot process from the SDCard and then switching over to an external disk as quickly as possible. Like described here on the Adafruit site or here on Stackexchange.

The first thing to try would be:
  • boot the RPi3 from a UBOS SD Card
  • attach an empty external drive, say as /dev/sda
  • sudo ubos-install /dev/sda
  • and then edit cmdline.txt and set the root drive to /dev/sda2
  • reboot
Again, I have not tried this, so it's very possible I'm getting some things wrong here.

The other alternative is to replace your /var directory on the SD Card by mounting the external disk there. That is possibly fraught with problems if you ever forget to switch your external disk on when you boot the Pi.

Hope some of this helps. If you try any of it, would be nice to know how it worked out.

Cheers,

Johannes.

Sean14

Re: Will Ubos make it easier to install Nextcloud & Piwigo??

Post by Sean14 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 am

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for the reply. I will try those suggestions and I let you know.
I have just installed Ubos and Nexcloud. Trying right now to make
Nextcloud work.

Cheers

Sean14