Best practice for setting up Nextcloud in UBOS with a USB drive

You are using UBOS on an x86_64 PC. Please tell us something about the hardware.
emceeaich

Best practice for setting up Nextcloud in UBOS with a USB drive

Post by emceeaich » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:16 am

I'm using a SSD for UBOS, and I have an external USB hard drive I want to use as the main storage for the Nextcloud users on my UBOS box.

It looks like external drives aren't automatically mounted. And I don't see a www-data group like Nextcloud expects, so I'm stuck.

Is there a best method to automount drives and have them set up as external storage for Nextcloud, or is it better to have a single, large, spinning disk with separate partitions for UBOS and Nextcloud storage?

j12t

Re: Best practice for setting up Nextcloud in UBOS with a USB drive

Post by j12t » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:08 pm

We don't mount external drives automatically, because then (some) users will also assume they get unmounted automatically and safely, and we don't want to go there :-)

For Nextcloud specifically, you have two options:
  • Mount the external drive as you like, and declare it to be an additional drive (I forgot their terminology) from within the Nextcloud app itself. That should be reasonably easy, is probably (I have no first-hand experience with that functionality myself) fairly tolerant if the external drive gets disconnected, or accidentially switched off. However, UBOS will NOT backup data from that drive, because it doesn't know about it.
  • Mount the external drive at /ubos as described here. This will put all valuable data on that drive, including MySQL and PostgreSQL databases, for example, and any other application data from apps other than Nextcloud you are running on this device. UBOS will backup that drive. However, bad things will probably happen if the external drive gets disconnected, or accidentially switched off. E.g. MySQL suddenly won't have access to its data files.
Neither of those options is "perfect", which is why we don't recommend external drives.