Shepherd user on a virtual server

You are using UBOS in a virtual machine, or in the cloud. Please tell us which.
vorticon

Shepherd user on a virtual server

Post by vorticon »

Hi there.

I'm running UBOS Linux (most recent release) on a virtual server.
I started with the VirtualBox disk image and set up apps and everything.
It's not possible to attach a (either virtual or physical) USB stick on that server. So I can not use the staff to set up SSH access etc. Everything was a bit complicated - but I'm done now. I can login via SSH as root and I set up a website.
However, there does not seem to be a shepherd user (it's not in /etc/passwd).
Now I'm unable to make an encrypted backup because the backup script tries to get the PGP key from (non existing) shepherd's keyring.

Is there a recommended procedure to create the shepherd user and configure privileges and stuff?

Thanks for any help.

(Sorry, wrong category. This is unrelated to UBOSbox.)

j12t

Re: Shepherd user on a virtual server

Post by j12t »

What issues are you running into when attempting to attach a UBOS Staff device to your virtual machine? Which platform are you on.

Secondly, you are looking for:

Code: Select all

% sudo ubos-admin setup-shepherd
Also see

Code: Select all

% ubos-admin --help
vorticon

Re: Shepherd user on a virtual server

Post by vorticon »

Hey and thanks for your answer.
"ubos-admin setup-shepherd" was the command i was looking for.

My server is a VPS hosted by a hosting company. No idea what platform. It's not possible to attach a USB stick there, only ISO images.
So for installation I had to boot a live linux distro (from ISO), then download the VirtualBox disk image, convert it to raw format and dd it to my virtual harddisk.

UBOS is great, by the way. Nextcloud 21 has a number of bugs, however. I hope there will be a new UBOS release with those Nextcloud bugs fixed (should be the case with Nextcloud 22).