Install UBOS on Odroid HC-2 failed

You are using UBOS on a platform that does not have its own forum.
bastelinsky

Install UBOS on Odroid HC-2 failed

Post by bastelinsky »

Hello,

I try to install UBOS on Odroid HC-2, according to the UBOS-Description for these devices.
I have a 16 GB SD-Card with 2 UBOS-partitions: boot and root. Boot is ext4, has a boot-flag and uses 25.82 MB. Root is btrfs and uses 1.21 GB.
The image is the newest one. (ubos_green_armv7h-odroid-xu3_20201124-010143.img.xz)
Further I have a new Samsung SSD, 2.5 TB, a UBOS-STUFF-USB-Stick and ethernet.

When I plug in the power-jack, the green LED (for the SSD-Drive ...???) shines up at about 2 seconds, the red power-LED shines continously. The blue LED doesn't shine up at all. After waiting for 15 minutes, there is no change in LED-behavior, no IP available and nothings is written on the UBOS-STAFF-Stick.
So, I suppose nothing happend...

Maybe the HC-2 doesn't work as it should...
Any suggestions to help out?

Regards
bastelinsky

j12t

Re: Install UBOS on Odroid HC-2 failed

Post by j12t »

The ODROID-HC2 can be a bit hard to debug because it doesn't have graphics. If all fails, ODROID sells a serial adapter.

Let's first be clear that by default, UBOS knows nothing about any devices other than the boot device, so it will ignore your SSD. If you want to use that -- well, sort of the point of the HC-2 -- make it work on the SD card first, and then either mount the SSD into your boot volume that remains on the SD card, or install UBOS on the SSD as well, and point the boot loader on the SD card to the SSD.

I sort of assume you have Ethernet connected? "No IP available" ... did you mean you checked your router?

Make sure you have the name of the Staff device correct. In your post you call it UBOS-STUFF but it is UBOS-STAFF. If it is not named exactly correctly, UBOS won't touch it.

You can also insert your SD card into some other computer, mount it there, and see whether there are any interesting log messages in /var/log/ .
bastelinsky

Post by bastelinsky »

Thanks a lot for your reply and your advice.

The UBOS-STAFF-USB-Stick is named correctly.
Yes, I had a look into the router and couldn't find a new device/IP. Also with Angry-IPscanner.
Var/log shows nothing (new) at all.

I tried to boot another OS and launched ARMBIAN. Everything worked as it should. The blue LED went to "heartbeat" and the green one shined continuously. The device showed up in the router and I could log in via ssh. lsblk showed the SSD. So, luckily the board works in generell.

But, I want to use UBOS and not ARMBIAN...
So, I'd like to find out, what's the problem with booting UBOS. I saw, that in Armbian the boot-directory is not separated, it's among all the other directories.(etx4) In UBOS there are two partitions (boot - ext4 and root - btrfs) Could this be problematic to the HC-2 ?

Do you have any idea, what could cause the boot-denial?
j12t

Post by j12t »

Could you try with the image from the yellow release channel here? http://depot.ubos.net/yellow/armv7h/images/
j12t

Post by j12t »

Updated the armv7h images. Should work better now. Please report if they don't :-)
bastelinsky

Post by bastelinsky »

Thanks again for your support.
I tried the latest "yellow"-version for xu3. The normal ones are still from 2020...
Unfortunately it didn't work either, with one exception: the green led shined, but not the blue one.
Also the device showed up in the router, but the USB-UBOS-STAFF was empty, so I had no password-file to log into the machine via ssh.
/Var/log/ was empty as well.

I don't know whether it's a problem in general, or only with my device.
I consider using Armbian instead. It worked well at my first try.

I'd better bought a configurated UBOS-device from you... ;-)