image file in yellow channel

Questions and discussions about Indie Computing's UBOSbox
criky

image file in yellow channel

Post by criky »

Hi.
It seems image file in yellow channel is actually for the green channel.

I downloaded "ubos_yellow_x86_64-pc_20200925-213115.img.xz" file from http://depot.ubos.net/yellow/x86_64/images/,

but noticed after installation that this file is not for yellow but green channel.

In addition, when invoke

Code: Select all

pacman -Sl hl
, I can not see apps available for the yellow channel.

Could you please check if it's normal?
Attachments
2..png
2..png (14.36 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
1..png
1..png (16.28 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

j12t

Re: image file in yellow channel

Post by j12t »

Works for me. Just tried.

(You can just edit /etc/ubos/channel and set it to the channel you want. Then run

Code: Select all

sudo ubos-admin update
to update the code. However, this does not work to downgrade. So going from green to yellow is probably fine, but the other direction may produce unexpected results occasionally.)
criky

Post by criky »

Got it. I checked your manual changing method(changing the content of the file "channel) and it works.
Now I can see the yellow channel instead of green.

But a weird thing is that yellow channel file(ubos_yellow_x86_64-pc_20200925-213115.img.xz) shows "yellow" when running from a boot stick, but it becomes "green" after the installation on the hard drive of the box finished.

This situation didn't use to happen in the past time, where it remains yellow even after installation on hard drive as it has to be.

On top of that, I cannot even see the apps that should be listed in the yellow channel, even if it's been switched over to the yellow channel.

As you can see below, even after changing to the yellow channel by the method provided above, there are no apps for yellow channel like mastodon, mattermost, etc.
Attachments
5..png
5..png (105.55 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
j12t

Post by j12t »

You have to run "ubos-admin update" after you change the channel. Did you?

Pro tip: the real truth is in /etc/pacman.conf, which is regenerated by ubos-admin update.
criky

Post by criky »

j12t wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 am You have to run "ubos-admin update" after you change the channel. Did you?

Pro tip: the real truth is in /etc/pacman.conf, which is regenerated by ubos-admin update.
Yes, it has been invoked several times with several reboots included.
I tried the whole process two times including fresh new boot stick and clean installation with 09-26 UBOS.
But it does not change the reality.
Every time changing the configuration file "channel" green to yellow and invoke "sudo ubos-admin update", it shows me there is no packages updated, failed to refresh some expired keys, just like the normal process. And the "ubos-admin status" shows that the name of the channel is changed, but it does actually not.

At the end of the day, yellow channel needs to truely be the yellow channel as I mentioned in order to take the further steps no matter what the actual problem is.
I think the download file itself is probably corrupted, since it did work differently compared to the past time I tried.

P.S. I looked over the the file you mentioned and see that yellow channel is well applied. But still pacman does not list the yellow channel apps.
Attachments
1..png
1..png (17.08 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
j12t

Post by j12t »

I re-read the thread, and perhaps what you are doing is different than what I thought you did. Specifically:
But a weird thing is that yellow channel file(ubos_yellow_x86_64-pc_20200925-213115.img.xz) shows "yellow" when running from a boot stick, but it becomes "green" after the installation on the hard drive of the box finished.
Are you saying that you first boot from the image, and then you run ubos-install to some disk, and then you boot from that disk?

If so, yes, it behaves as it is supposed to be: ubos-install defaults to the green channel now. The assumption is that by default, people want to run production. If you want a different channel, say "ubos-install --channel yellow", for example.
criky

Post by criky »

Are you saying that you first boot from the image, and then you run ubos-install to some disk, and then you boot from that disk?
Yes that is exactly what I wanted to say.(I followed below procedure according to the UBOS documentation)

1. Making a boot stick and starting with it.
2. Running sudo ubos-install dev/sda
3. Reboot, update, etc

I felt weird since it behaved differntly compared to the past time. Previously it becomes yellow channel even if I run ubos-install without that argument.
Is this change a fresh new one?

Your assumption is right, though there remains a question.

According to the normal process, when invoking "ubos-install"
UBOS defaults to the green channel, then it would be changed to the yellow channel if setting of the configuration files "channel" and "pacman.conf" is to be changed to yellow and updated.
So it changes its channel name to yellow, but the app list still remains to green.

Is this situation also normal?

Anyway I think this time it should be able to work. Thanks.
j12t

Post by j12t »

The default used to be different; yes, this is a change.

During ubos-install:

* The argument --channel <channel> is used to create /etc/ubos/channel and the initial version of /etc/pacman.conf.

At runtime:

* /etc/pacman.conf gets updated every time you run ubos-admin update.
* pacman -S uses a cache which can be out of date. To get the current version, run ubos-admin update right before running pacman -S.
criky

Post by criky »

Thanks for your clarification.
Now I can understand the process much better.