staff stick seems to prevent bootup

Questions and discussions about Indie Computing's UBOSbox
j12t

staff stick seems to prevent bootup

Post by j12t » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:07 pm

From e-mail, moved here:
hello! i assembled a new ubosbox (pi) and turned the power on with staff stick inserted in a usb port and the pi did not boot. if i removed the stick and rebooted, it booted and connected to the network. subsequent attempts to boot with the staff stick also failed. fwiw, attaching pic of successful boot without the staff stick.

please assist!

j12t

Re: staff stick seems to prevent bootup

Post by j12t » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:23 pm

Hmm ... I think I have seen this issue once, but it wasn't consistently reproduceable. If I had to guess, I would think that the Raspberry Pi Foundation ships some of their units with different versions of their boot loader that have different behaviors. The boot loader is "hard-coded" into the RPi board and runs before UBOS is booted. Among other things, the boot loader looks for attached storage devices (here: the mSATA disk, and the Staff) and decides which one to boot from. Apparently, on your board, it (incorrectly) decides to try and boot from the Staff, which of course fails, as it does not contain an operating system; it should boot from the mSATA disk instead.

Here two things to try:
  • Use a different USB port for the Staff. The boot loader tries the USB ports in sequence, and it might find the mSATA disk first if you plug in the Staff into a different USB port. This may or may not work. If it does (or does not), could you post to this thread and tell us?
  • Given you have a monitor attached to the RPi already, start booting the RPi without the Staff. The screen should 1) be blank, then 2) have all colors of the rainbow all over the screen, then 3) start the typical Linux boot messages. As soon as those boot messages scroll by, insert the Staff. This way, the boot loader does not get confused by the Staff (it isn't there yet) and UBOS can install Nextcloud at the end of the boot sequence (when the Staff is present).
Let me know if any of this works.

tbbrown

Re: staff stick seems to prevent bootup

Post by tbbrown » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:50 pm

thanks! i think i tried the first option yesterday so i just tried the 2nd option and that seems to work as the blue light is flashing as expected and i'm seeing new messages after the login prompt including "started advanced key-value store, configured by nextcloud cache"