questions about odd behavior when mounting UBOSbox drive in Ubuntu

Questions and discussions about Indie Computing's UBOSbox
dln949

questions about odd behavior when mounting UBOSbox drive in Ubuntu

Post by dln949 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:04 am

Because I am unable to upload files using the Nextcloud standard upload process - a problem I submitted to this forum under a different question - I thought I'd try other methods.

Using fstab I mounted the UBOSbox on my Ubuntu computer (18.04.2, GNOME Shell 3.28.3, Nautilus 3.26.4) with this entry in the fstab file:

http://MyServer/nextcloud/remote.php/dav/files/admin /home/main1/nextcloud_mount davfs user,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,noauto,_netdev 0 0

That mounts properly at boot, I can see the icon for the directory on the desktop.

In addition, using Nautilus I can also mount the UBOSbox drive using this address:

dav://MyServer/nextcloud/remote.php/dav/files/admin ubosbox

This also works, and I get the typical icon on the desktop.

However, when I open either one to explore the subdirectories, they take an AGONIZINGLY LONG TIME to show contents.

Also - While the method of using the dav:// address is very slow, it does eventually show the contents of a directory. But the one that comes from the fstab entry reports "Folder is Empty" if the directory has more than a moderate amount of data in it.

So, two questions:

1) Why does it take so long to explore the directories on the UBOSbox using either method above; and,
2) Why does the one method end up unable to show the contents of large directories?