Issue installing Nextcloud in Vbox

You are using UBOS in a virtual machine, or in the cloud. Please tell us which.
ginsa1

Issue installing Nextcloud in Vbox

Post by ginsa1 »

I have download UBOS image for Virtualbox and I am trying to installing Nextcloud, but I can't.
Nextcloud is the first and only app in the VM, despite this, pacman says that there is no room to install the modules.
I have incremented the virtual disk dimension until to the max space in the real disk, about 49 GB, using static allocation, but it still doesn't work.
What can I do ? Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot-nextcloud.png
Screenshot-nextcloud.png (11.36 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

j12t

Re: Issue installing Nextcloud in Vbox

Post by j12t »

Hmm, it seems it would be a good idea if we shipped a larger default image on VirtualBox. Currently it is only 3G, but UBOS has grown and Nextcloud has grown since that number was set, and it seems it has outgrown it! I filed an issue: https://github.com/uboslinux/macrobuild-ubos/issues/27

In the meantime -- or perhaps in general, it might be a good idea anyway -- you could create a separate virtual disk, attach that virtual disk to your virtual machine, and then mount that separate virtual disk at /ubosn (before you install Nextcloud). Once you then run "ubos-admin createsite, UBOS will install Nextcloud, and put all your Nextcloud data, on that separate disk. This might be good idea anyway because you can choose the size that makes most sense for the amount of data that you might want to put into Nextcloud.

jrd

Post by jrd »

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience.

With VirtualBox, it is possible to set the size of your disk (when the VM is closed).
File > Media management > Properties

I tried to set the .vmdk size from 7 Gio to 25 Gio.

An error has been returned. See the message below.

Please, confirm the issue come from your .vmdk configuration or it is my VB configuration or from my VB understanding.

Complement. Yes, "create a separate virtual disk" is a good idea. Let me try :)

Code: Select all

Échec du redimensionnement de l'unité de stockage du disque dur C:\Sources\Ubos\ubos_yellow_x86_64-vbox_20191119-181521.vmdk de 7,00 Gio à 25,00 Gio.

Resizing to new size 26843545600 is not yet supported for medium 'C:\Sources\Ubos\ubos_yellow_x86_64-vbox_20191119-181521.vmdk'.

Code d'erreur : VBOX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED (0x80BB0009)
Composant : MediumWrap
Interface : IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Thank you for your time and consideration.
---
jrd | I am José from France.
"Individual" and tricassinux.org co-founder.
Advocating selfhosting.
Fell free to contact me any time

jrd

Re: How to upsizing the virtual HDD size of your VM

Post by jrd »

Hi,

following the issue mentioned below to get the right virtual size of your hdd regarding the original size of the vmdk file (7 GB) and the size of your application could need (for instance NextCloud with lots of pics :),

I have implemented and tested this solution on VirtualBox 6.1.4 on Windows 8.

The process is:
1. Convert into .vdi format with VBoxManage clonehd the .vmdk file (detach it first)
2. Attached the .vdi to the VM and modify the virtual size with File > Media manager
3. Update the partition for instance with cfdisk.

--------- Below, this process in more details -----------------------

1. Convert the .vmdk file into a .vdi file
First, backup the existing .vmdk file
In the Windows terminal, in the Ubos virtual machine directory, renamed your existing .vmdk file into a simpler name : "ubos_7gio.vmdk". The extended new .vdi file could be cloned as "ubos_50gio.vdi"

To clone the file, use this commande (in Windows terminal)

Code: Select all

C:\MachinesVB\UBOS>"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" clonehd ubos_
7gio.vmdk ubos_50gio.vdi --format vdi

0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
Clone medium created in format 'vdi'. UUID: ce797ca0-9453-4fd6-bff4-a7e9ab6cb9e6
Check this creation wiht: C:\MachinesVB\UBOS>"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" list hdds

A new HDD appears with a new UUID and a .vdi file extension.

2. Attached the .vdi to the VM and modify the size with File > Media manager
In VirtualBox, attach the new .vdi file as hard disk of your existing VM (Also, you can create a new VM... I presume :)

Always in VirtualBox, set the new virtual size of the .vdi file: Files > Media Manager. In the Hard Drive tab, select your new .vdi file
Below, in the Attributs tab, you can set a new the size value (up only). Apply and close.

In the "Storage" tab of your virtual machine the virtual size value has been updated.

But, this has created an new "unafffected" partition.
You have to manage this new partition.

3. Update the partition with cfdisk
Open cfdisk with cfdisk /dev/sda

Two lines appear: /dev/sda1 (your existing partition with the current size) and Free space with a large size.

Select the (first) line /dev/sda1, in the menu below select Resize. Accept the defaut value, which is all the available size, by clicking on Enter. Confirmation with yes (entier word). Then Write and Quit

That's it. You have the same VM with a new size.
If you keep the .vdi format (instead of vmdk format), later, if you want to upsize your virtual hdd, do only step 2 and 3 :).

Please, note I am not a Ubos expert. Do not hesitate to mention any issue :).
---
jrd | I am José from France.
"Individual" and tricassinux.org co-founder.
Advocating selfhosting.
Fell free to contact me any time

j12t

Post by j12t »

Excellent description. Thank you!