Enlarge partition

You are using UBOS on a Rasberry Pi. Please state which model you are using, e.g. Zero, Zero W, model 3 or such.
robologo

Enlarge partition

Post by robologo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:07 pm

As you can see 26,55 GB of my sd-card are not used. I would like to use all space of my sd-card for Ubos/Nextcloud. Which partition may I enlarge with GParted? sdb1 (fat16) or sdb2 (btrfs)? Would an enlargement be dangerous for the functionality of the system?
Attachments
partition.png
partition.png (57 KiB) Viewed 971 times

j12t

Re: Enlarge partition

Post by j12t » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:34 am

The best thing to do would be to run

Code: Select all

ubos-install /dev/sdX
where /dev/sdX is the SD Card you are installing UBOS to, while being booted from another disk. This will automatically use all of the space on the target disk/SD Card. It requires an USB/SD Card adapter, however. and not everybody has that :-)

/dev/sdb1 simply contains the files needed to boot the system, while everything else is on /dev/sdb2 in your case. So you want to enlarge that /dev/sdb2 partition. However, keep in mind that many people (myself included) have experienced many SD Card failures, and it may not be a good idea to store anything truly valuable there.

Also FYI: there's some work ongoing to move all important UBOS data into a separate directory hierarchy. There is no release date yet, but once we are there, it would allow you to create a third partition from the leftover space and put all your data there. Alternatively, it will make it easy to use an external HD just for the data.

robologo

Post by robologo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:20 am

Ok., thanks for your reply. I make backups of my stored data with Grsync on an external storage disk. So I won't lose anything if the sd-card should crash. But I stay tuned for a third partition. Good idea!

robologo

Post by robologo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 am

Perhaps it would have been better to look at the faq before asking:
https://ubos.net/docs/users/faq.html
My SD card is much larger than the UBOS image. How do I use the rest of the space?
It would be best if you don’t burn the UBOS image to your large SD Card, but instead to a temporary SD card. Then you boot from the temporary card, and use ubos-install to create a clean new installation on your large SD Card. ubos-install will use all available space. Then you can discard your temporary SD card.
You can also expand the file system, but note that this is an expert-level operation; you can very easily screw your existing UBOS installation and all data on it. So be very careful. In principle, it should work like this: first determine what filesystem your UBOS root partition runs on. On most devices, UBOS runs on “btrfs” but it might be “ext4”. Then, use a command specific to that filesystem type to expand the filesystem, such as btrfs filesystem resize (for “btrfs) or resize2fs (for “ext4”). Alternatively, you can add a second device to the btrfs filesystem pool.

Btw: I got this USB/SD Card adapter which works very well: https://www.pearl.de/a-GRA12341-1170.sh ... m=GRA12341